Oh Honey, this is just too easy! It’s as easy to list my failures as it was difficult to list my successes yesterday.
I’m going to have to stick to a list without long descriptions or we will be here all day…
Here we go, in roughly chronological order:
1. I missed going to Nationals in the 100-meter hurdles as a freshman in college by less than 1/100th of a second. #soclose
2. I dropped out of college after my sophomore year. And quit running track. #twoyearhiatus #UofA
This is what I did instead – trained for a bodybuilding contest!
3. My first marriage fell apart.
4. I took a job with a horrible boss that I sucked at which killed my professional self-esteem for years. #ihadnightmares #iwenttotherapy #sodidmycoworkers
5. I tried to start several businesses that never even puttered along, let alone took off. #RIP #TheMommyLane #WritewithJessica #RoseWriteAlong
6. I wrote a book that didn’t become a bestseller (and needed a lot more work to be good). #sadface #delusionsofgrandeur #but50shadeswasshittoo
7. I went bankrupt. Literally.
8. I have not gotten jobs that I would have been great at, and have take jobs I shouldn’t have. A lot of those felt like epic fails.
Trust me, there are more…many more!
How Did I Overcome Them?
Over the years I have refined my recipe for overcoming failure – real or perceived. It involves the following:
I like to let myself wallow in sadness and self-recrimination. Licking of wounds is encouraged only after prolonged prodding and repeated poking.
So good, and goes well with sleep/naps/hibernating. Also pairs well with doing nothing. #nada #nope #nyet #yeano #sorrynotsorry
This is how my soul speaks to me. That zany little girl who could be anything she dreamt of. I also hear from ancestors, the dearly departed, and the Crone Guides while I am trying to quiet my monkey mind. Sometimes I hear them in my bones. Or my heart.
Bathe in Nature
I don’t mean literally bathe in nature, although I am 100% positive that would be helpful too. I just mean immerse yourself in nature. #justwalkthedogs #walktotheliquorstore
There you have it.
No mud (and by mud I mean failure), no lotus (and by lotus I mean gratitude and contentment).
Are you like me? Is it easier to list your failures than your successes?